The nature reserve of La Trapa is an estate located on the southwestern side of the Tramuntana mountains. It is named after the Trappist monks that setteld in the valley in 1810. During their stay they built a monastery, created a system of water supply through storage galleries, and built terraces and walls following the traditional dry-stone technique.
In la Trapa, elements of the traditional architecture can be found, such as the houses of the ancient monastery and the remnants of a chapel, a mill, the threshing floor. A required visit is the vantage point, an exceptional balcony with views over the Dragonera island, which looks like a dragon emerging from the sea.
The preservation of la Trapa is provided by the ecologist group GOB, which purchased the estate in 1993 by popular subscription.